Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Farmall #1

Hot, Hot, Hot. That was what was on tap for yesterday's Farmall #1. Numbers for the race were a little low considering the brutal heat. But we lucked out, temperatures cooled a little bit halfway through the race and all the climbs were mostly in the shade.

Having not raced in about a month, I needed the hard effort to refresh the legs for the race upcoming Highland Hex. Boy, was the pain there. I don't think I'll let myself forget how to suffer like that again. Combined with the brutal heat, I almost bailed a few laps in. I had to stay out there and finish the race considering what happened in the last series (3 dnf's).

It ended up being a ball busting race with Casey riding my ass the whole time. He dangled just behind me for the first few laps, then closed the gap on #4. That light a fire under my ass and I had to ask the engine room for some more power. Luckily there was a little in there and was able to throw down and actually ran my fastest lap to get away from him. I managed to get my gap back up but only for him to remount another charge on the last lap. Luckily I held him off and crossed the line for the V.

Hopefully next week the heat dies down a little bit and some of the missing riders show up.

~J

No comments: