Monday, August 14, 2006

Suicide Six-NYSERS Finale

Wrapped up a killer weekend at the Suicide Six. What a great day it was to be racing. Temps were beautiful, trail conditions were perfect, racers were ready. Harriet Hollister Spencer Park was where the course was. I haven't raced there since it was a normal xc race a few years back. But I have logged countless hours on the course and I am very familiar with it. If you've ridden the course you know how technical and difficult it is. I would say it is on par with Mt. Snow or Snowshoe for the technical aspects. Except there are no open ski hill climbs. This place is pure singletrack.

Race Summary: They were offering cash for the fastest solo and team rider lap. For the solo's this was for sure going to be our first lap. I settled into 2nd right off the start as it's my preferred position. Casey attacked at the top of the hill and I followed his wheel into the singletrack and down the infamous "rattler" descent. On the climb out I attacked and drew my compatriot (Matt D.) from last weekend's race. He stuck on my wheel throughout the next few sections. As we came out of the singletrack across the road, Casey pulled us back in with a great bit of riding and counter-attacked on the climb as soon as he caught us. I followed his wheel into the singletrack and not willing to chase my own teammate down I gave him some cushion as I was still being tagged by the solo rider behind me. Matt behind me never made a move and graciously allowed me to take the solo lap across the line a few seconds behind Casey. Halfway through the 2nd lap in the singletrack I dropped Matt who chased for a few laps, then withdrew. Bummer as I was really looking forward to the challenge. The majority of the race after that was just spent conserving energy on the climbs and hammering it on the singletrack. Lap 7 got a a little exciting when I took a drink right before the "rattler" and ended up crashing pretty damn hard before the entrance. At full speed pulled off a header, lost all the crap in my saddle bag and bent the hell outta my big ring. Managed to destroy my kneecap on the remount as the chain dropped. I had managed to finish my 7th lap with plenty of time to finish my 8th and squeeze in under 6 hours for a 9th. But the 8th time down and out of the "rattler" I couldn't feel my arms anymore and decided I would slow her up just a bit and skip the extra lap.

I was super psyched to take the win and also to take the NYSERS Overall Solo Award!

Other GBC Notables:
Rob Allen: 2nd; 2nd NYSERS 19-29 Solo
Casey Conte/ Mike Wonderley: 1st Team with an incredible 10 laps!! and Casey took home the fastest overall lap.


Coming up is the Farmall finale!!

~J

No comments: