Monday, June 30, 2008

Singlespeed to Superfly

I headed down to Hollister-Spencer on Saturday to burn some laps on the singlespeed. Conditions were typical Spencer. Muddy in sections, but fully rideable. I felt a little sluggish on the SS. I went out and did a road crusher Friday after work and was still feeling the effects of that. As a result, I only spent an hour on the trail as I was having a hard time and struggling just to turn over the 33x19

100_1311.JPGMy prize for the 24 hour Victory


100_1308.JPGSweet Singletrack at Holister-Spencer


100_1315.JPGLizzy Enjoys the Run

At least I got lizzy out and she enjoyed the the run and subsequent puddle baths that she could find.

Naples Solo Session


Yesterday I headed down to Naples on the Superfly. After running a rigid steel singlespeed for a week, the Superfly felt like a cushy dual suspension. I ripped it climbing up Stid hill and trailed the tower Drop. (I need a helmet cam to capture how cool that descent really is).

After that I climbed the road up to OCP. I took a nice little lunch break, then dropped the Finger Lakes Trail. I railed the descent again, and climbed up to Cutler where the 24 hour race was a few weekends ago.



100_1319.JPGWorked up a good sweat climbing up to OCP


100_1321.JPGDry, Fun, tech awaits


100_1322.JPGThe Pallets sections (yup I cleaned it)

Cutler and pretty much all of the trails all day were in awesome shape. The rainstorms hadn't hit yet (it poured later in the evening). I had a blast and cleared my head and readied myself for the upcoming month of hard training.

100_1326.JPGView from the Orange Trail in Cutler


100_1327.JPGThis downhill looks 19x familiar


100_1329.JPGLooking back at Cutler (what I just came down)

After ripping down the road to the backside of Bristol, I chugged along up one of the tougher climbs around. Gnarly, rocky slate greets you after the first 1/4 mile of off camber, ultra-steep, 1 line climbing. The climb seems to go up and up forever, but nonetheless it's one of my favs.


100_1330.JPGClimbing the backside of Bristol Mt


100_1336.JPGAbout halfway up...

100_1338.JPGStill Climbing


100_1339.JPGThis looks like the top

Once at the top I hit the road and down to the snowmobile trail. A nasty wide open fire-road descent. Lots of shale, incredibly steep and fast swoopy corners. A little too much speed here = instant cheese grater style crash. I managed to make it all out safe. Had a blast and felt great.

After that I headed up and visited my nephew at the hospital. Little buddy is doing awesome!

Currently playing in iTunes: Back to Your Heart by Dinosaur Jr

No comments: