Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mohican Wrap-up

Just sitting here on the the couch, surveying my bumps, bruises, cuts and scrapes after yesterdays efforts. I'm wiped out. We got home last night around 3 am, and Mark knocks on my door this morning at 9am asking me if I wanted to ride. I laughed pretty hard at that.



Race Highlights:


    The first 20 miles of Singletrack was incredible and Mark and I were ripping it up, just super flowy, fast fun stuff

    My saddle popping off the rails at mile 25, then riding standing up for the next 10 miles till I found a guy with a road bike on the side of the road that was willing to lend me his

    Spending at least 35-40 minutes trying to figure out how the hell to attach my saddle to borrowed seatpost

    Realizing the saddle nose was pointed way to low and having to sit on the nose for 65 mile, ugh

    Pegging it for the next 20 miles trying to take some time back

    Riding for 15 miles down a dead straight, slightly uphill muddy rail trail, wishing it would change or end so I could stop pedaling for 2 friggin seconds

    Face planting on said rail trail for no reason other than I was riding no handed and messing with my camelback

    Climbing a gravel road at about mile 75 and thinking how comfortable it would be to lay down in the middle of the road and sleep

    Putting the most technical piece of singletrack at mile 95 and it was packed with hikers

    Almost dumping a family of 5 into the river while cruising the singletrack as there was no where for them to go when I came thru the trail

    Saving myself from a 10ft drop into the river after crashing on same piece of singletrack

    The 1 mile to go sign



All in all I was pretty happy with my race. I'm thinking I probably shoulda been around 9.5 hours or so, pending I didn't have all the saddle trouble. Like every long endurance race, one goes thru peaks and valleys. In the low points of the race, you contemplate what the hell you are doing this for, and then 5 minutes later (after some sweet singletrack usually) you are contemplating doing this a bunch more cause its so much fun. After the race I think I'm feeling pretty confident for the Hardcore 24 in 2 weeks time.

No comments: