Monday, August 13, 2007

Suicide Six

Wrapped up the Suicide Six and the NYSERS series this past weekend. Pretty much wraps up racing for me this season. I had plans to SOLO the Hot August Nights 24hour, but I'm heading to Chicago Wed for a week and a half. Effectively kills that and any type of training load I was working on. I'm turning over to enjoying the summer and spending time having fun and digging into a few other things.

Suicide Six. I pulled a pretty good fast first lap, got a little bit bottlenecked on the rattler, but otherwise came out with the lead. Held it for maybe a lap or 2 till I was passed. Held the wheel for 1/4 of a lap then decided I needed to settle back into my own pace. Terry from Bear-Naked took over 2nd from me a short bit later and gave chase to the leader. I was comfortable where I was and decided to just hold my pace and work on staying consistent in my lap times. I was pretty good and only lost some time when I flatted on my 6th lap. A quick fix and I was back on the go, but still didn't have enough time to turn in 9 laps. Came in about 15 minutes past 4, with the flat put me about 7 minutes past. Effectively 7 minutes slower than last year as I crossed the line just shortly after the 6 hour mark. I'm pretty happy with it though and will take the age group victory and a 3rd.

The 3rd place result effectively put me in 2nd place for the NYSERS SOLO Overall. Pretty happy with that and maybe next year I can give Terry a little better run for his money ;).

Currently playing in iTunes: Rockers To Swallow by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, lots of fun racing with you this season. Was going to encourage you come out to the Holiday Farm 6Hr race this Sunday (just 4hrs away in western MA, free Saturday night camping and microbrew keg and reasonable $40 registration) but I see you'll be away. Anyway, still might cross paths at the Horrible Hundred in a month. Are you going to be riding it as if a race? That would be fun.
Anyway, many thanks for continuing on the NYSERS series for 07, much appreciated. You'd asked about people already putting on races in eastern NY who might be able to join in and expand the series, so I thought I'd pass along some suggestions to Google and check out. Brian at High Peaks Cyclery put on a 24Hr race for about a decade in Lake Placid at the olympic XC ski site before the DEC stepped in because overnight events are supposedly not permitted, but maybe a 6hr race would be the perfect solution? Also in the Adirondacks, the Garnet Hill Lodge near Gore Mountain put on MTB races years ago, and now with new ownership is doing Xterra off-road triathlons', so maybe that's a possibility. George at Dark Horse Cycles in Montgomery puts on three races each year in the Hudson Valley at the Stewart State Forest, and I recall a 12hr race being offered there once. Tim at the Bikeway shop (and of Eastern Sports Promotions) also in the Hudson Valley has been putting on up to four races per year at Tymor Park, 909, Williams Lake, etc. You'd also mentioned Mike Henry, who has been running the Masters of the Mountains three-race Catskills series through Big Ring Productions, who is taking a break this year but will be back next year. Finally, Billy at Overlook Mountain Bikes puts on a race in Woodstock each September, so maybe some of those are leads that could provide a NYSERS race in the eastern part of the state as well.
Cheers, enjoy the balance of the season's riding, keep posting all the great content (especially all the nice FLT and Keuka region pix)!
terry