Sunday, July 13, 2008

Windham NMBS

Saturday morning headed down to Windham Mt. with the crank yanker, err Crankskins H.M.F.I.C. EJ. Had the mini-van loaded up and hit the venue around mid-afternoon. After registration (which was a friggin $65), and EJ lucked out with #666 for his skull and flames bike, Ha, we headed out for a pre-ride.

View from the Lot


With Ej in tow, we climbed. It seemed ever so familiar as I had raced here a long time ago at the masters of the mountains series. After we climbed, we climbed some more and then climbed some more.

View From the Top


They did a great job on the course. It was super technical and no mud anywhere. It was bone dry and even dusty and loose. Loads of kick ass bridges were everywhere and made for an interesting course.

Rip Van Winkle Bridge


One of the 2  main bridges that go over the DH course


Up early Sunday for our 8 am start. The heat and humidity was already cranking up. I headed out for my warm-up, threw a bottle down in the feedzone and lined up.

The Troll Bridge


Gun went off and uphill immediately, and into some tight singletrack. Jammed up and trackstand while waiting to get into the woods. My legs were left at the start line, I tried to muster as much as I could but I just didn't have any top end and just settled into my normal endurance pace, which is incredibly slow compared to xc pace. I managed to not actually be the last one up the hill. I firebombed down the descent and through the rocky tech sections.

One of Many rocky tech sections


I really wasn't feeling it, I climbed up the hill a 2nd lap in my granny (1200ft climbing per lap) and was getting picked off by all the groups behind. I tucked my tail between my legs and decided that I was gonna pull the plug and head out.

So it goes, a truly awesome and tough course that I wish I had some legs for. Guess I need to up the intensity level in my training for some shorter stuff.

Heading wednesday to Snow to run the Crankskins booth with EJ. I won't be racing, but doing a big "training camp" for 6 hours of power in E-ville coming up in 2 weeks. If you are there stop by the booth, we'll hook you up.

2 comments:

Lenore said...

The Curse of Dark Hollow? hopefully someone will put me in their car.

Jason Hilimire said...

I wish, I actually want to do the race. Unfortunately I'll be at Mt. Snow working the Crankskins.com booth... and getting a little riding in. I'm gonna try to make it down for the last one