Saturday, June 03, 2006

Highland Hex

Just home from the Highland Hex 6 hour marathon. Freaking brutal conditions. I went to bed hoping the rain was going to hold off, but awoke to a treacherous downpour and cool temps. The only bonus was that the rain was going to stay all day, keeping the trails nice and wet and the mud from sticking.

Started off pretty well; was in 2nd overall after the 1st lap and slipped into 4th overall after the 2nd. I fought my way up through the field back into 2nd after a few more laps and then found out 1st place dropped out due to the conditions. I pushed it to increase my gap and stay out front. I came in from my 6th lap and still had 20 minutes, so I jumped out for one more lap and ended up with 7. BTW, major chainsuck and had to mash the middle ring the entire freaking race. On the last 2 laps I pretty much had zero shifting and whatever gear I was in I was stuck in till I could force it out.

Course conditions for the race were awful. The course was dramatically different from last year and was no where near as much fun. There were streams of water just rushing down the trails. I was pretty psyched about the conditions actually as I've raced 2 marathons already in similar conditions so I was prepped and ready to handle whatever was thrown my way.

Here are a few pics:


Nice and clean at the start line

PDC_0116_thumbnail



Taking the hole shot

PDC_0117_thumbnail


EJ gives his review of the course

PDC_0120_thumbnail



Getting a handoff from ma

PDC_0121_thumbnail



Off for another lap

PDC_0122_thumbnail


VICTORY!!!

PDC_0127_thumbnail


Thank gawd thats over

PDC_0128_thumbnail

Hilarious! We are know staying at my fathers house, and I went out for a quick road ride the other day. Well, lizzy is a bona-fide escape artist. The front 2 windows to the house were open and she decided she was going to come out and join me for a ride. The windows are about chest level and with the aid of chair in front of them she launched herself through the screen only problem is the house isn't on the level and she came through the window expecting the ground to be only a few feet, instead it was a good 8 feet. She must've hit the deck pretty hard cause the neighbors heard her and managed to get her into the garage. She is all good though :)

~J

No comments: