Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend Wrap

Whoa, finally wrapped up one of the toughest weekends I'll ever do.

I hit Mt. Snow this past Thursday, got in a nice pre-ride and got hooked up by SRAM for a few nice parts. The course is basically the same as its always been. One minor exception is the addition of the feed zone to the opening climb. As usual it goes up and up and up and then comes right down. By far one of the most technical courses around. Conditions were actually really good for mountain. Mostly dry with a few mud spots. Race went off Friday afternoon, I had a good position and didn't blow sky high on the climb too bad, came off the first descent and up the next climb pretty well. Started slipping back a little bit on the upper part of the mountain but for the most part I was holding 20th position but wasn't really feeling hot. I ended up pulling the plug after 2 laps and save the energy for the Hardcore 24.

Hardcore 24-Solo
Damn brutally hot; Awesome course. Ended up getting just nicked at the line by Mark Hartman for the fastest lap of the day. I held the lead in the solo class for around 6 hours. Stopped to pit and get some food for around 20 minutes or so and lost the lead. I regained it till night fall when I pitted again. At the 10-11 hour mark of the race; I was pretty haggard. I was having a tough time just riding a straight line. I took a break again around 13-14 hours in and was having a hell of a time. I was crashing on everything and lap times were brutally slow. I finished the last 1/4 of my lap and figured that it might be my demise. I was gettting a pretty bad saddle sore and needed some time off. I ended up sleeping for 3 hours or so. I was ready to toss in the towel. I awoke to find out that not too much had changed and I was still sitting in pretty good position. So I pulled the kit back on and headed out for a few more laps. I had fallen into 3rd but was revitalized by the sleep and turning some good lap times again. At 11am on Sunday I retook 2nd place and the two of us agreed we didnt need to go out for another lap. I ended up with 16 laps, the winner turned 20.

Would I do something like that again?...I'm doing a team 24 hour race this coming weekend... Solo racing, I might be up for it :)

No comments: