Monday, March 17, 2008

Nice little block

Well, I got the powertap back on Thursday, only to break a tab on the battery holder. Essentially it's useless now. I got 5 years almost out of that bad boy so I'll take it, considering it lasted so long. Guess I'm stuck with training on the paragon (which isn't so bad).

Thursday was a pretty crappy day on the bike, I felt horrible. The legs were crushed and had no snap. It didn't help I was fighting a brutal cross/head wind the whole ride. Friday was a nice day so I rolled out for a few hours, the legs actually felt quite a bit snappy, but I reigned them in as Saturday was going to be a big day.

Saturday, I headed over to my old stomping grounds. I had to get the car fixed in Victor, so I decided to put in a big day from there and head south to Naples. It was a beautiful day, and I even wore gloves that were quite a bit too warm (as my shriveled fingers from sweat showed). I headed south as usual into Bristol. Its nice rolling farm country heading south, then slowly climbs till you get to the top of the Egypt hill (main climb in the Bristol Road Race). I descended that like a banshee (I was on the paragon after all!) and headed around to climb Mosher hill. Usually the thing is a bear of a climb on a road bike, but I had little lower gearing and actually felt really good climbing it. My legs were feeling nice now and I headed into Naples to refuel. After a few minutes in the bathroom (drying my clothing out from sweat), I topped off the water bottles and headed out. I immediately hit the Gannet hill climb (6 miles to the top). I was feeling good and keeping it tempo the whole ride. I flickered a bit here and there with threshold, but I knew that I had put a lot of energy out so far on the ride and continued climbing at a strong but quick pace.

100_0987.jpg Heading to the hills

After I the climb, I had a blast descending West Gannet. A car attempting to make a turn into the driveway scared the shit out of me. Nothing like descending like a madman at 40+ mph and a car unsure of how fast you are going and contemplating turning in front of you. Luckily, we made eye contact and me waving my hands like, WTF!?! he stopped quickly. A few miles of flats to stretch the legs, up the final climb out of Bristol and slammed it home.

100_0988.jpgTo the top of that is where I'm heading



5 and a half hours of some good tempo in the hills and I was feeling great. I'm super amazed at Sustained Energy. It rocks! 4 bottles of that, 1 flask of gel and some clif blocks was all I needed for the ride. In comparison when I rode around Seneca lake, I was using a different drink and just fizzled out halfway into the ride. I felt like I could have ridden 10 hours on Saturday.

100_0989.jpg Looking down Gannet, what I just came up



Today looks nice and I might head to the trails in a few or hit the roads if they thaw. Short day for work as I have to drive to PA tonight for an early AM session tomorrow.

Wednesday, I'll be back on track....





No comments: