Friday, February 23, 2007

Only Temporary

Our brief respite from ol' man winter was quite short. A few inches of snow falling overnight has me prepping the skis for the weekend rather than the bikes. Our "heat-wave" brought temps that were in the low 40's on Tuesday and upper 30's with sunshine on Wednesday.



Tuesday I put the tires to the asphalt for the first time since early January, when we had an actual heat wave. It was a good feeling to see the ground move past me on each pedal stroke. The air flowing created by actual movement. Quite invigorating. I plotted my course down thru South Bristol and back; pushing a good hard tempo pace. 2 hours passed and as I was making my way home contemplating putting some more time in, a few drizzles helped ease me into the warmth of being back home. My choice was the right one as it turned into a steady rain.



Wednesday was a good group ride. Casey, Matt, Mark and I met up in Bloomfield. Our intentions were to ride the new GVCC course. We started out heading on the correct route, but made an early turn off in the wrong spot. No big deal, as we all knew where we were and decided to head down and around Bristol Mt.





Churning along the ridge on our way to Mosher Hill







We hit the backside of Mosher hill for our first true climb of the day. Brutal for being one of the first climbs of the season. After struggling up and over the top and around to rt 64 we, confronted a decent headwind heading north. We set to work and got into our usual pacelining session. One great thing about riding so often together is that we work flawless. No gapping on pulls, no accelerations, just precision and execution of the task at hand. I lucked out and managed to be on Hanggi's wheel, which equates to having a mac truck in front of me the whole time. We stopped at the convenience store in South Bristol for some calorie re-supplies.





Casey puts the burn on as we pass Bristol mt.







Slackers! Don't you guys have real jobs!



After refueling we headed back north and onto the GVCC course proper to got back to our recon mission. The course itself is going to be a beast compared to the old Perinton course. It's quite rolling with some steep climbs and sections that are easily going to cause some splits in the groups.



Right now I'm 50/50 if I really want to do anything on the road at all this season. I've raced the GVCC Giro's and the Spring Classic for a few years and they work well to bring the legs up to speed. I'm refocusing completely on the endurance aspect for this season, but we will see what happens. Maybe, I'll throw some road tires on the Paragon and run that during the Giros. I'm sure that will give me a warm welcome from all the pure roadies!



This weekend is psycho-cross take 2. Hopefully the weather sticks and I can get a decent write-up and some picks for you....

No comments: