Sunday, February 18, 2007

Weekend Wrap; Power Training Seminar Review

Yesterday was the Peaks Coaching Group Power Training Seminar, hosted by Hunter Allen. Hunter is the Co-Author of the excellent book Training and Racing with a Power Meter. The seminar basically followed along the book, but it was an intriguing insight into the world of power training. I learned some great nuggets of information on how to properly use my power meter and how to use cyclingpeaks WKO+ to review a ride or race afterwards. I'm not going to spill any of the secrets that I learned here, I paid good cash for the info so you gotta read the book.

Power training is essential in cycling today. Take a look around at some of the top teams and riders in the Pro Tour and you will see them always training and often racing with a power meter. An American team Slipstream, will have every rider during every ride and race throughout this year on a power-tap. (not sure what's up with the argyle uni's though? Didn't Trek's mtb team try that our a few years ago?). I'm personally hoping to pickup an ergomo system for my mountain bike this season. I think having that would bring my training to a whole new level.

I didn't manage to get in any training time yesterday due to the entire day being taken up by the seminar. As soon as I got back had to head out to dinner with Casey and Val. Made up for it today by packing in a load of time on the xc skis. Headed over to MPH with Mark, Suzanne, Erin, Casey and Val. 2 good hours in the super deep snow. The poor dogs, they'd be running across the top of some of the harder snow then it would give way and they'd be swimming practically to get out. Lizzy was having a hard time if she got way off track. At one point she started whining as she was so frustrated with not being able to go anywhere at all and being stuck in the snow. After the 2 hours at MPH I headed over to Mendon Ponds for 2 more hours on the groomed stuff. I think I prefer the backcountry snow as compared to the traffic jam/highway that was Mendon.

On a side note, local racer and friend Brandon Furber has a new blog; The Champion of North Huron. Be sure to check it out


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: