Thursday, May 31, 2007

Horrible Hundred Update

So this past Monday, to celebrate the holiday, Matt Hanggi and I headed out for a little ride down in Naples. We wanted to scout and collect some of the tidbits for the upcoming Horrible Hundred Race in September. We chose to cover the last 40 miles of the course. For those of you that are climbers or those that just want to enjoy the suffering, there is good news! This course is going to have tons of hills! The 40 mile ride that we did had 8500ft of vertical!

Horrible Hundred


*I'm going to update the graph a little later and segment it out, but here it is for now



The Route: Started at the DEC and climbed Griesa Hill to Oakley to Gannet. Hit Ontario County Park and descended that and followed the road down to the backside of Bristol Mt. We climbed up and over the backside on the Dirt road and then descended on the snowmobile trail. At the base of the Snowmobile we hit Stid Hill and then climbed that to the Ridge Trail where we hit the tower drop (mile 24, drops 900 ft in 1.2 miles!). From there we took the road to West Gannet and climbed up to Ontario County Park again and descended the same trail. Headed across the road to Cutler, up and down the Orange trail then took the road down to the closed road that drops us in right next to Bob and Ruth's .



If I can ever figure it out I will get the google earth stuff up and we can all have some fun browsing over where we will be playing!



I rested up on tuesday and last night Hanggi and I hit Dryer Rd for a few hours of some good fun. Conditions there are great right now, even getting a little bit sandy in the corners. We both had a good time ripping around that place. For some reason we were a little more accident prone than normal. Perhaps with the dry conditions speeds were a little higher than normal and we just pushed it to the edge. I think both of us left our fair share of blood and skin out there yesterday. It's all in good fun. The great thing is that place is really turning into a mecca for area riders. There had to be at least 2 dozen riders out there on the trails including about half a dozen females getting their sweat on!



Mark Hartman and I are heading out tomorrow mid-day for the Mohican 100. I'm feeling pretty ready to rip this one up, but I guess we will see how the head feels 40+ miles in. I've been getting some great sleep and I'll be taking some sleeping pills with me to ensure that I sleep the night before! I cannot wait for the race, I've got those nervous, excited , scared feelings kicking around and just want to grab my bike right now and go!



I'll post from my phone a few quick blurbs from our road trip and our results after the race!

No comments: