Thursday, August 11, 2005

ESG Day 4

TTT: Our men were divided into an “A” and “B” team, basically the Luthers as Wayne was back but not 100%, Peter Edge, Roden, and Matthis. My team was the ‘Shickluna’ squad of Garlapow, Jamesson, Jossyln, and Chris Riley and myself. 42 miles of sitting on the rivet. The effort was going to be pure hell. Let me tell you it certainly was. I felt like I was being tortured pure and simple. Basically like riding in your dream breakaway and giving it everything you have except you are in your aerobars scared to death you are going to tap wheels. Last year our team lost the gold due to a crash in the ttt. I was giving it everything I had on all my turns, helping to lift the speed up as much as I could. I was on the limit most of the time just sitting in, I actually was quite happy a few times to be on the front setting the pace, because I was certain I wouldn’t get dropped from there. The final 10 miles we had to push hard as we were 5 seconds down on the nyc team. Josslyn took a huge turn and dropped the boat anchor going backwards, he gave everything and slung us loose for the climbs ahead (only have to finish with 3 riders). Chris Riley went to the front and gave his all and dropped off launching myself, Ben and Adam up the climb about 1 ½ mi from the finish line. I was setting some hard tempo up the climb and swung off, sitting on the wheels in front of me. Just then it happened, a huge parachute flew off my back and I was going the wrong way fast. I was getting dropped on the climb and loosing time to them. If I was the 3rd rider across the line they take my time, and they could finish 15-20 seconds ahead of me or more at this point. But miracuosly Riley somehow after taking a massive turn re-bridged to us on the hill and had the strength to jump across and make contact with Ben and Adam. I was yelling at him with everything I could muster as I knew he could make it across. He did, and for our efforts we were rewarded the silver medal, by 8 seconds ahead of nyc. Our A team won the gold and our womens team also won the gold.

The Western team thoroughly dominated the games all weekend. We all walked away with a gold overall team medal, plus 11 other individual medals. I must say this was one hell of an experience and to be on the winning side of things and to have made some great friends along the way was incredible. Bob DeRoo and Terry who were our coaches had everything perfectly planned out at our team meetings everynight. It felt good to be an integral part of such a well oil-machine.

No comments: