Monday, September 05, 2005

Goodbye Summer

"Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

I don't recall a single care
Just greenery and humid air
Then Labor day came and went
And we shed what was left of our summer skin"


Listening to ''Summer Skin'', by Death Cab For Cutie


So it's here and gone, summer is pretty much over. For most road racers, this was pretty much the final weekend of racing, cyclocross racers are chomping at the bit as they start up soon, mt. biking has a few weeks left, but the trails are in the best conditions of the year.

You'll notice at the bottom of every blog entry is a comments link, If you click on it you can add a comment for anyone to see that visits the site.

I went down to Naples on Saturday and did the OCP/Cutler/DEC epic, I love that route, 30 miles of mt. biking with about 4 major climbs and the most technical descending ever. I went by myself, no iPod or anything else, just hammered the trail away with my own thoughts. I needed that ride, it was great, trail conditions were perfect, the smell of the woods was incredible and everything went right. I was completely lost within the trail and came out with my soul totally cleansed. I love those kind of rides and it seems like fewer of them happen every year as racing becomes more and more important. One thing I did come across that was pretty funny and odd; I am out deep in the woods and I hear some movement so I keep riding thinking its deer or something and I come up on some people. Turns out to be a guy and a girl walking, however no hiking clothes or gear, the guys doesn't even have his shirt on and the girl is walking pretty far ahead and putting her shirt on. I think someone was looking for a little nookie action! But they were a long way into the woods for that!


Block Party--Yesterday was the traditional end of Season Neighborhood Block Party. Before hand I played some golf with my best buds, Eric, his brother Adam and Andy. After playing about every sport possible together growing up, we finally got to play a round of golf together. It was a blast. I played golf a ton last year as I as a member of a country club, but this year I've only played twice (including this match). Considering we have a free course right out our back door, that is unusual. So I was quite a bit rusty, but started to come around big time on the back nine and we had some good laughs. It's good to hang out with the old gang.

Speaking of the old gang, the neighborhood block party is an annual tradition, of which I just re-entered. For a few years I had been skipping it because I was usually of racing. I went last year and had a ball. This year was no exception, everyone always comes back that has lived on our street. The mix of new and old friends, young and old is a humble celebration of summer and small town life. All of the friends you grew up with that have scattered away, you get to spend the afternoon re-hashing old times with.

Don't let your summer slip away just cause Labor day has come and gone, get outside ride your bike, play with your dog (or cat). I refuse to let is slip through my grasp...

No comments: